Friday 14 May 2010

Parachuting in Snelsmore Common

I've been looking for places near my home in Wantage to which I can pop out when in need of a birding fix. Snelsmore common is on the B4494 between Wantage and Newbury and is noted for its nightjars, tree pipits, woodcocks and possible woodlark. It comprises a range of habitats including heather and gorse, scattered small trees, broad leaf and evergreen woodland.
I was welcomed to the car park by a blackcap, great spotted woodpecker and mistle thrush with the songs of willow warblers and song thrush filling the air. Walking through the woodland I noted coal tit and long tailed tit before entering the heath area. Whitethroats were common and a number of tree pipits could be heard and seen on the treetops. The tree pipit is a bird that I have always liked and Snelsmore is a great place to watch their display. They fly upwards singing then parachute down on rigid wings and periodically would forage on the ground. I also used this opportunity to take some photos (see below). Watched the pipits for about 30 minutes then took a stroll around the park. Other birds observed included a single garden warbler, chiffchaff, sparrowhawk, green woodpecker, red kite and kestrel.

I will definitely be visiting this place regularly with a few evening trips to watch the nightjars and woodcock.

Tree pipit in Snelsmore Common


Tree pipit singing


Tree pipit foraging on the ground


No comments:

Post a Comment