Saturday 15 May 2010

One good tern deserves another

My mother in law is over from Germany this weekend and my wife arranged to take her to Exbury gardens in the New Forest. Didn't want to impinge upon their mother daughter bonding so thought I would drop them off, then spend a couple of hours on Brownsea Island. Brownsea is a great place to visit but the reason for my eagerness was the roseate tern reported during the previous week. after landing on the island took a brisk walk down to the reserve. Nearly come unstuck as the Dorset wildlife trust charge 2 pound for entry but I only had 1 pound on me. Kindly the wardens took pity and let me in half price.

Once in the hide, I started checking out all the terns for the roseates but all were either sandwich or commons. I hoped that they were fishing in Poole Harbour and would soon return and after about 45 minuted my wish was granted as I located them on a nearby island. They had sneaked in whilst I was scanning the periphery of the lagoon. Worth the wait however, with great views of two birds each showing the characteristic large bill and pinkish chest. Yet another memorable birding moment. Caught the boat back, found that I had a parking ticket but didn't care, I had seen roseate terns.

Roseate tern with a second bottom right of shot

Sandwich terns frolicking with disinterested gull

Common terns on Brownsea lagoon

Roseate tern : Uk lifer 263

1 comment: