Friday 15 October 2010

Port Meadow Lesser Yellowlegs

I have seen Lesser Yellowlegs in Canada, Cuba and Suffolk but still decided to check out the Port Meadow bird which I have read is the fourth record for Oxfordshire. When I arrived at the meadow only a single birder was present although this number had swelled to around 10 when I left about 30 minutes later. The yellowleg was very active, feeding amongst Teal, a Ruff and a Redshank. Two american birders arrived (perhaps came in with the Yellowlegs) but were more interested in the ruff and Redshank which were lifers for them. There was also a flock of Golden Plover, a Little Stint, couple of Dunlin and a Snipe. Oxfordshire has been almost rarity-free in 2010 so this was a welcome arrival.


In bad light and distant, this was the best I could manage. I think I need to start digiscoping.


Lesser Yellowlegs taken in Ontario, July 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment